Alma Advisory Group is supporting Civic Builders with their search for a Controller. We would love your help identifying leaders to join the Civic Builders team.
If you would like to learn more or to submit your resume, please click on the link and one of our team members will reach out with more information.
The full job description is below. To learn more about Civic Builders, please visit www.civicbuilders.org.
About Civic Builders
Civic Builders sits at the nexus of community development and education. Dedicated to giving every child the chance to attend a great school, Civic Builders partners with the nation's best educators to finance and build public charter school buildings. We are an experienced team of real estate, finance, and development professionals dedicated to delivering inspirational educational facilities at affordable rates.
Civic Builders believes that diversity, in all its forms, enriches society and our organization. Because we support students in the highest need neighborhoods, we have a particular charge to understand our schools and their communities. When our staff, board, and partners reflect, value, and embrace the voices and perspectives of those most impacted by what we do, we have a deeper understanding and connection to their needs and more effectively achieve our aspiration of improving lives, revitalizing communities, and helping children receive the education they deserve.
About the Controller role
Civic Builders is seeking an experienced Controller to lead all activities relating to internal accounting, budgeting and financial reporting. As a facility developer, Civic Builders is comprised of over two dozen entities and maintains several dozen bank accounts. In addition to managing complex facility construction projects that rely on varying sources of capital, Civic Builders owns and leases a number of school facilities to nonprofit charter school tenants. Within this context, the Controller’s responsibilities will include general ledger management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budgeting and financial reporting, audits, tax filings, and lender obligations and reporting.
Essential Duties Responsibilities
Finance and Accounting Management
- Lead internal budgeting, prepare forecasts and budget-to-actual reports with direct oversight of Senior Accountant.
- Prepare internal and external financial reporting for senior leadership, Board of Directors and lenders, as well as periodic grant-related reports.
- Lead all internal accounting processes, including general ledger management, accounts payable and accounts receivable, as well as bank reconciliations, deposits and banking relationships. Process customer billing, including school facility development services and monthly rental invoices.
- Manage all financial audits and tax filings for all Civic Builders entities and assets.
- Support various reports and multiple transactions and needs of multiple stakeholders and the review the work of others.
- Manage payroll and support additional human resources and compliance related activities such as employee benefits, corporate- and project-level insurance coverages, and relationships with legal counsel.
Data Management Support with Stakeholders
- Support construction projects with budgeting, forecasting, financing, and ongoing management of project loans, and will support the Financial Services team on all financing and lending agreements.
- Collaborate with Financial Services team on all financing agreements, lending agreements via Civic Builders’ new platform, and New Markets Tax Credits allocations and deployments.
- Serve as a partner to the COO and CEO in managing the numerous audits and external reporting, multi-year forecasting, and projecting of organization’s ability to meet financial covenants.
- Work with auditors for the various external reporting including support of parent organizations, subsidiaries and affiliates.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following skills and abilities to successfully carry out this role:
- Equity Leadership and Commitment to the Civic Builders Mission
- Data Management Expertise
- Operational Excellence
- Teamwork and Communication
- Innovative and Strategic Execution
- Integrity and Self-Awareness
- 10+ years of professional experience in accounting, with specific experience working with nonprofits or small businesses, and real estate
- Demonstrated ability to manage accounting transactions in a complex, multi-entity environment with numerous real estate assets
- Expertise in nonprofit and real estate accounting and audit principles
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related degree, CPA license desired and preferred
- Experience managing and preparing multiple financial statements
- Experience managing accounting for an org of similarly complex organizations
Qualified candidates for the above position must submit a resume to Alma Advisory Group by clicking submit resume to send an email to our team.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.