Alma Advisory Group is supporting Guilford County Schools (GCS) with their search for a Chief Performance (Accountability) Officer. We would love your help identifying leaders to join the GCS team.
If you would like to learn more or to submit your resume, please click on the link and one of our team members will reach out with more information.
Chief performance Officer - Job description
About Guilford County Schools
Guilford County Schools (GCS) is the third-largest district in North Carolina, serving nearly 72,000 students across 126 schools in urban, suburban and rural areas. Superintendent Sharon L. Contreras, Ph.D., is leading the district through a pivotal phase in its development, focused on graduating students who are ready to be successful citizens and leaders of the world. GCS’s leadership team will play a critical role in helping the district reach its top priorities which focus on student achievement, equity and excellence, talent development, school choice, and organizational effectiveness.
About the Chief Performance Officer Position
Reporting to the Superintendent, the Chief Performance Officer (CPO) provides strategic vision, leadership and direction that enables the district to understand and communicate the student outcomes achieved, the impact of core district strategies, and implications for continued improvement. The CPO plays a vital function by providing data to help inform improvements for students, developing systems and tools to track progress towards district goals and providing the analysis that enables district leaders to have a deeper understanding of the current state, to challenge current assumptions, and to spur reflective dialogue and innovative thinking that move efforts forward more effectively
Essential Role Responsibilities
Equity Leadership and Student Success
- Cultivate a commitment among all district staff to enable all students to achieve high standards.
- Confront preconceptions and model open dialogue around race, culture, class and other issues of difference.
- Operate with a lens of cultural proficiency, sensitivity, and equity to ensure students’ needs are met.
- Assess the distribution of academic supports with a clear racial equity lens, ensuring allocation provides the best resources to efficiently and effectively meet the needs of all GCS’s students, families, and schools.
Performance Management Leadership
- Lead district in creating a compelling vision and theory of action for the Office of Performance and the District ’s progress and performance measurement system that includes information from all parts of the District to:
- Support the timely monitoring of district-wide and school wide administrative and instructional programs, and
- Measure and report on progress and performance to meet the information needs of District staff and community stakeholders.
- Design and implement the district’s strategy to measure and report on student learning and achievement
- Develop and implement the District’s strategic approach to Research, Accountability and Assessments.
- Coordinate the Accountability & Research Program for the school system, which includes interpreting the program legislation, collecting data and preparing reports to meet program requirements.
- Assume leadership role on the Superintendent's Cabinet; assist with long-range strategic planning, developing system-wide budgets, plans, policies and activities.
Research, Evaluation & Accountability
- Conduct statistical analysis of academic initiatives with focus on improving student achievement and lead the strategy to ensure accurate development of reports for all District accountability matters.
- Review and make strategic interpretations of assessment results, ensuring that all accountability reports are clearly understood and actionable by District and school site personnel.
- Oversee the analysis of assessment data and monitor all state accountability systems for achievement data from national, state, and district assessments and prepare the data for presentation to the Superintendent and broader public.
- Interpret legislation, policies and guidelines governing the program; prepares required reports for County and State Boards of Education.
- Provide leadership in developing, administering, interpreting and reporting the district's evaluation programs and procedures; designs data collection instruments and brokers external evaluation services.
- Monitor the latest research, trends and development in all areas of education and share relevant/actionable findings with the Superintendent, cabinet and senior staff members.
- Deliver written and oral presentations on academic accountability to various stakeholders (i.e. Board of Education, principals, teachers, parents and community groups) that focus on results, help build consensus, help stakeholders understand implications and significance of results.
- Collaborate with technology team to ensure the district has appropriate technology and operating systems needed to track, report, and aggregate/ disaggregate student performance data (school-by-school, classroom-by-classroom).
- Ensure District compliance in monitoring, assessment, and reporting for all internal and external testing measures.
- Oversee the allocation of materials and staff resources for data-related purposes; ensure proper use and enforce appropriate accountability for disbursements and expenditures.
Support for Continuous Improvement
- Monitor the progress of school performance, student achievement objectives and academic excellence indicators to assure alignment of improvement strategies; direct implementation of revised or new strategies and key standards.
- Partner closely with the Chief Academic Office, the Superintendent’s Council and principals to ensure that assessments are aligned with the district’s curriculum and instructional strategies and to ensure the appropriate resources and support needed for data-driven instruction by teachers, principals, and other staff.
- Partner closely with Human Resources to design educator evaluation and accountability tools and systems.
- Collaborate with schools, Assistant Superintendents and Chief Academic Office, principals and teachers to ensure timely availability of tools for viewing student data that allow teachers to adjust their instructional strategies.
- Create data dashboards and other internal and external data reporting systems to help various audiences both visualize and analyze student performance data.
Talent Management and Professional Learning
- Build and lead a highly effective, innovative performance management department.
- Provide supervision, mentoring, and professional development opportunities that help all staff grow and prepare for assessments aligned to their ability to continually improve instructional practices.
- Support staff to develop, implement, and evaluate project plans and strategy to achieve goals.
- Provide input and monitor coordination for a robust, systemic approach to district-wide professional development activities for GCS, in partnership with central offices.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Vision and Courage to Ensure All Students Achieve
- Data Management Knowledge and Expertise
- Influence and Leadership
- Strategic Planning and Effective Execution
- Team Leadership and Management
- Proven track record of developing dashboards and data tools for non-technical audiences
- Five to seven years of management experience in curriculum development, assessment ad implementation with significant data analysis and statistical analysis experience or equivalent that proves the required knowledge and skills.
- Significant experience in leading, supervising and managing comprehensive assessment/ evaluation systems and office administrative leadership experience preferred; school or central office based administrative experience preferred.
- MA or PhD (preferred) in Education Research, Assessment, Measurement, Curriculum Evaluation or a related field.
- Eligible for a valid North Carolina driver's license at time of hire.
Qualified candidates for the above position must submit a completed online application and a resume that clearly demonstrates the above minimum qualifications.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary for this position is competitive commensurate with prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.